Outlining a plot-twist conspiracy the way Rick, an editor at TotalSpoiler.com, has done would put The Lone Gunmen to shame.
So first, a slow-clap for Rick.
You could read the epic magnum opus here – or go for the TL;DR takeaways:
- Essentially, Batman V Superman is actually part of Christopher Nolan’s Bat-universe.
- Ben Affleck is not playing Bruce Wayne, but is actually Slade Wilson, Deathstroke
- Jared Leto is not playing the Joker but is instead playing Robin — a direct continuation from the role originally played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt in “The Dark Knight Rises.”
Amidst the long, long, long thesis, the following proof points were offered (among many, many others):
- The “Batman v Superman” batsuit looks similar to the Deathstroke-as-Batman suit from the comics.
- Affleck’s most memorable line from the trailer, “Do you bleed? You will,” is close to the Deathstroke quote, “I will make you bleed.”
- The movie title also leaves out the “s” in “vs,” supposedly meaning that this is movie “V,” or the fifth installment in the franchise, rather than a new non-Nolan timeline.
- Christopher Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas, are also listed as executive producers.
Our take? Bullshit. Because, business return-on-investment (ROI).
This entire theory is premised on the assumption that movie-goers would catch, understand, and be blown away by these many plot twists. These are more likely to be long-time Batman comics fans – rather than casual moviegoers, who will make up the bulk of ticket sales during the film’s theatrical run. Most casual moviegoers just a straightforward story and to see Batman and Superman duke it out – only the fans will appreciate the subtle nods, twists and turns throughout the film.
So, let’s put this theory to rest already… mmkay?
Now, please excuse us as we deliberate on the other pressing fan theory: that Kylo Ren is actually Luke Skywalker.