For the first Geek Pride Day celebration in 2006, Spanish blogger Germán Martínez (popularly known online as señor Buebo) published a manifesto that included the list of rights and responsibilities of geeks. (So geekdom is a proper movement, alright?! There’s even a website!)
The original Spanish can be read here, while the English translation is as below:
- The right to be even geekier.
- The right to stay at home.
- The right to be single and a virgin.
- The right to not like football or any other sport.
- The right to associate with other geeks.
- The right to have few friends (or none at all).
- The right to have as many geeky friends as you want.
- The right to not be fashionable.
- The right to be overweight and near-sighted.
- The right to show off your geekiness.
- The right to take over the world.
- Be a geek, no matter what.
- Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
- If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
- To save and protect all geeky material.
- Do everything you can to show off geeky stuff as a “museum of geekiness.”
- Don’t be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
- Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
- Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
- Don’t waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
- Befriend any person or persons bearing any physical similarities to comic book or sci-fi figures.
- Try to take over the world!
Well, what are you waiting for?
Geeks of the world, UNITE! We are taking over the world!!!